Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Plot complication

Yesterday, I met with an "interventional cardiologist" who has performed more than 1,000 of the TAVR procedures, replacing diseased heart valves through a catheter placed in the groin.
Based on that conversation, I want to know more about the procedure,to see if I would be a candidate.
The bottom line is that because I had radiation many years ago for Hodgkin's Disease, I could have scar tissue or other damage that would make surgery more complicated, and potentially more risky.
My surgeon, Dr. Stahl, discussed this possibility with me, and told me that it is impossible to know if the scarring is there until I am opened up during surgery.
The potential risk is scary, and after talking with the other doctor yesterday, I am having more concerns about whether surgery is the best option for me.
While that still may be the route I take, I want to explore more fully the TAVR option, to see if I might be a candidate for that.
The problem is, that in spite of the history of radiation, I am still classified as a low-risk for open heart surgery, and currently, the TAVR is only approved for intermediate- and high-risk patients.
The doctor I met with yesterday said that because of the radiation, I would not qualify for a randomized clinical trial in which low-risk patients have either a TAVR or open-heart surgery on a 50-50 basis.  If that's the case, I would think that I would qualify for a TAVR as an intermediate-risk patient.
So, I will continue to gather more information and pursue the option of having a TAVR, and see where that leads me....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Success!

Today (Friday, Aug. 11) I am home after a successful TAVR procedure at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla.  My procedure was on Tuesday morning, a...