Friday, June 16, 2017

A rotten week

Okay, I know I wrote earlier about the importance of maintaining a positive attitude.  And I really have been trying to do that.  But this past week has been a real test.  And my attitude has taken a beating.
A quick recap... last Saturday night, after a very nice day in which I went for a walk at Miramar Lake and felt great, I started having a rapid heartbeat later at night and ended up going to the emergency room.  When a blood test showed that my my cardiac markers, called "triponins," were slightly elevated, they decided to admit me for observation.  They pumped me full of meds and by the time I was discharged on Monday, everything was looking pretty good, in terms of my vital signs, etc.  But still a scary and not fun experience.
Later in the week, I developed a toothache and a trip to my dentist revealed that I have a damaged molar that will probably have to be pulled.  I'm worried, of course, that it could delay things in terms of fixing my aortic valve and blockage.  One more thing to fret about.
The capper came on Thursday afternoon, when I got a call from the surgeon's office.  I had an appointment on Friday morning to get a second opinion that is required if I am to have the TAVR procedure instead of open heart surgery.
I was hopeful this consultation would help clear the way for me to move forward with the TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement, in which the new aortic valve is threaded through my femoral article and put in place.)
Instead, I was told I had things out of order, and that I need to get a battery of tests BEFORE I see the surgeon, which is the final checkoff.  Never mind that I had been told by my doctors that I had to see the surgeon first.
So now, at a glacial pace, (to me) I have to wait for next week till I can be scheduled for the tests I need, etc.
It was a blow that left me reeling, very depressed and having a hard time dealing with the entire situation.  I know in my head that this only puts me about a week behind where I was, but it doesn't feel that way.  It feels frustrating, and scary and just overall dispiriting.  I cried for a while this morning.
One side note.  A friend had offered us tickets to see the Dalai Lama speak Friday morning at UC San Diego.  When I scheduled the appointment with the surgeon, we had to pass on the tickets.  As it turned out, we missed both the Dalai Lama and the appointment with the surgeon.  And I can tell you, I could have used the inspiration.
In the big picture, I just need to get things back on track and I will be fine.  If the TAVR route doesn't happen, I will go back to the tried and true method of open heart surgery.  A little riskier for me than TAVR, I believe, because of the radiation treatment I got in the 1980s, but still very doable.
So either way, my valve will be replaced and I will go on to a brighter, healthier future.  Right now, though, I'm having a hard time embracing the positive.  Hey, no one ever told me this would be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Success!

Today (Friday, Aug. 11) I am home after a successful TAVR procedure at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla.  My procedure was on Tuesday morning, a...