Sunday, August 6, 2017

Almost time

It's Sunday, Aug. 6, and I am two days out from my TAVR procedure.  I feel a mix of excitement that the day is almost here, and of course, a good dollop of nervousness and anxious energy.  I think I am less anxious than I would  be if I were having open heart surgery, but still I know this is a complicated procedure, and there are risks.

I am happy because I have been waiting for this day for a long time, and I have high hopes that I will feel a lot better afterward, that I will be able to exercise and exert myself without feeling like I might pass out or my heart is pounding out of my chest.  I just want to feel like my old self again, and be able to do things like ride a  bike or paddle my kayak around Oceanside Harbor.

At the same time, I am stressed out because I want everything to go very smoothly.  I'm optimistic but still worried.  I'm sure these feelings are "normal" for what I am going through, but none of this really seems normal to me.  These last few months have been a blur of doctor's appointments, tests, ups and downs and lots of stress.  I'm more than ready to move on.

I keep thinking there are things I should do to prepare for my surgery and hospital stay.  But really there isn't much to do.  I have paid the bills, gone over the finances with my wife (normally I take care of the household finances so I wanted to get her up to speed), arranged for a friend to take care of our dog and talked to the editor of the newspaper I write for.  I changed the oil on all three of our family cars, even though it wasn't quite time to do it!

I don't think I will be bringing much to the hospital other than my phone, charger and headphones.  If all goes well I will only be in the hospital for a night or two anyway.

Tomorrow I will go to the doctor's office for my pre-op bloodwork, and meet with the nurse who will go over details with me about the procedure and what to expect post-op.

Then  I will show up bright and early (5:45 a.m.) on Tuesday for my procedure.  By Tuesday afternoon, I should be in my hospital room, beginning my recovery.

Very soon, I hope to be writing about my recovery and my life post-TAVR, and reporting about how much better I feel!  Until then, I hope anyone reading this has good health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Success!

Today (Friday, Aug. 11) I am home after a successful TAVR procedure at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla.  My procedure was on Tuesday morning, a...