Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Stabbed in the wrist

A small bandage covers the spot on my wrist where, yesterday, my cardiologist inserted a catheter into my artery and threaded it up to my heart.  The procedure was called an angiogram, and it was intended to let my doctors know if there are any blockages in my coronary arteries before I have my aortic valve replacement surgery.
It felt like a preview of my upcoming operation, because it was in the same hospital where I will have my surgery.  I had to put on a hospital gown, an IV was inserted in my arm, and I was wheeled into an operating room with lots of high tech equipment, bustling medical staff and very bright lights in the ceiling.  I was given a cocktail of drugs that put me in la la land, but not completely out.  I felt some discomfort in my wrist and right arm, then it was over and they were ready to take me back to the recovery area.  I was pretty groggy, but I remember my doctor telling me that they did find one partial blockage, of about 70-80 percent, in one of my coronary arteries.
I was happy they did the angiogram through my wrist, a method that is becoming much more prevalent, than through the femoral artery in my groin, because the risk of bleeding is reduced, and I didn't have to lay flat for hours after my procedure (although they kept me in recovery for the afternoon, to receive IV fluids to help flush out the contrast dye that was put into my system to aid in the examination of my coronary arteries.)
Two things stand out in my mind from yesterday's experience - one, although I was very nervous going into the procedure, it actually wasn't that scary once things got going.  I was a passive participant; the medical staff did all the work, and I just went along for the ride.  Of course, the sedatives I was given before and during the procedure helped.
Second, the staff, especially the nurses, was amazing.  I had my procedure at the new Prebys Cardiovascular Center in La Jolla, which is part of the Scripps system and dedicated solely to cardiac care and treatment.  Beautiful facility, top notch staff.  They were caring, attentive and very sharp and knowledgeable.  The nurses had read up on my history before I arrived, which impressed me. I felt well cared for and in excellent hands.
Of course, I had hoped that no blockages would be found, to simplify my surgery.  But, I think of it like taking your car in for repair of a blown head gasket.  The mechanic usually suggests replacing the timing belt and water pump as long as the engine is torn apart. So it will be good to take care of this problem now, before it gets worse, as long as I am already having open heart surgery.
I am supposed to take it easy for the next day or two, especially on my wrist, since I don't want to reopen the wound and make it bleed.  No driving or dog walking for a couple of days.  Otherwise, I feel fine.
Now for the next step, a meeting with my heart surgeon tomorrow.  Perhaps I will get a date for my surgery...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Success!

Today (Friday, Aug. 11) I am home after a successful TAVR procedure at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla.  My procedure was on Tuesday morning, a...